I've just released a pet project of mine on to maven central (provided the sync succeeds...) called sofia. I won't go into too much detail here since there's a readme on the project page but I did want to share a few "meta" details about the whys and the wherefores. As I mention in the readme, glassfish/grizzly use something similar and I found myself missing it in various different projects. I also have other, larger projects I'm trying to get into a releasable state and this smaller project served as a nice dry run for those others. It's small enough to manage and niche enough, probably, that I can get away with some churn as I figure out the maven release stuff.
Which leads me to some meta-meta-details. The new(ish) policy for maven central publishing requires that you own the domain name for the coordinates you want to publish under. For some large groups (apache.org, oracle.com, etc.) this makes a certain sense. But for your average "garage" developer who just has a github repo and a great idea, requiring a registered domain name just creates a large burden on the part of developers/projects. Finding a good project name is hard enough. Finding a good project name that can be converted in to an available .com/.net/.org/.whatever can be unbelievably frustrating. I find this policy to be incredibly short-sighted and, dare I say, lazy on the part of the managers of maven central. Yes it avoids groupId conflicts and the need for arbitration should some domain owner come along. But I'm not sure it's worth the headaches up front of finding available domain names before publishing artifacts. Oh, well. Done is done.
Please give sofia a spin and let me know what you think. Fork it, patch it, file pull requests/issues.